Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Myeongbeom Kim


Looking at Myeongbeom Kim’s work, what makes it so dreamlike is that he combines natural elements with man-made ones to make you think about common things that we see every day in a new way. He creates entire environments and experiences centered around this mysterious and naturalistic juxtaposition with inanimate objects that we see everyday like light bulbs, beds, pillows, and balloons. He works with a variety of mediums to create these contrasts and it is overwhelmingly successful in his work. I noticed a common theme of branches and leaves in most of his pieces though, however there are some made out of entirely man made materials such as plaster. When asked about his work, this is what Kim had to say:

"I try to examine how my surroundings are perceived and remembered. To do this, I listen to a whisper from the objects within my surroundings. I attempt to have an intimate, private dialogue with the world, trying to concretely present the way things approach me, by using other mediums. To ask what an objects means to me is like asking what being I am. I have consistently experienced my surrounding objects from the perspective of life, growth, and decline, which lends vitality to my work."

Untitled, 300X300X300in, deer taxidermy, leaves, and branches, date not listed
An excellent example of Kim’s dreamlike affect is the untitled piece of a deer with massive and beautifully outstretched branches atop his head in replace of antlers. The poised position of the taxidermied deer makes it appear as though you are peeking into a scene deep inside a magic forest. He’s managed to make it look believable yet otherworldly in the way that he’s adhered the branches to its head as though they were in fact grown there. Kim also managed to maintain a great sense of balance in the piece even though the branches are so overwhelmingly larger than the deer itself. They look light and delicate atop its head.

Edison, 15X15X30in, branch, steel, glass, and goldfish, date not listed

Rest, 75X98X39in, bed, lawn, pillow, date not listed

No comments:

Post a Comment